I can't afford to forget again

Remember, O Israel.
Repeated over and over and over.
I need it. 
To be human is to forget. 
To be human is to learn a new thing, something that makes you wonder how you ever lived before this new epiphany, only to relearn that same lesson, a month or two down the road.
I learn, I forget, I remember.  And again.

I swore that my life would be lived, wide open, as it was for several days, maybe even weeks,
after my journey in the desert. 
But I find myself back to the altar, weeping as the smoke rises, wondering how I could forget.
How I could harden. 
How I could let myself trip and trend down into the pit of dead, crusted spirit. 

Thankfully, the paths we discover and forge our way down become easier and easier to find and make our way up again once we remember that we have strayed. 

Return. Remember. 

Comments

Popular Posts