Metaphors We Live By
I am fascinated by the concept of the metaphors we use being powerful in the way we see, understand, and interact with our world and want to learn more about this concept. So much so that I just stopped giving excuses and went and hit purchase on a book titled "Metaphors We Live By" that I've been meaning to read. I realized I use the metaphor of "war" that is so ubiquitous in our culture and is pervasive in therapist-speak as well. (i.e. "The battle within" "fighting an uphill battle" "a constant struggle"). And I don't want this metaphor to be one that I am A) using as a principal organizer in my brain space (there is another metaphor; the brain as a computer/filing cabinet) and B) do not want to propagate to those I communicate with and especially not my suggestible clients who are still in the very important early stages of forming their worldviews.
I want to unlearn unhelpful metaphors and learn better, more life-giving metaphors, one that comes to mind that is beautiful and replenishing is that of plants, seeds, and organic life. Words matter!
I want to unlearn unhelpful metaphors and learn better, more life-giving metaphors, one that comes to mind that is beautiful and replenishing is that of plants, seeds, and organic life. Words matter!
Comments
Post a Comment