Practice when it's easy

I talked to my friend Sean this morning and shared the news that we found out that Ocean has mild to moderate hearing loss.  Sean is one of the better listener's I know....and I know alot of therapists. 
Rather than jump in with an attempt at consolation, comfort, and "I'm sorry to hear that", he simply asked "How has that been for you guys?"  
And I realized, this is what it's been for.  Well one of the the reasons, at least. 
I've been practicing mindfulness for years, learning to practice radical acceptance and learning to love what is, regardless of what "it" is.  And most of the time, it makes some difference, I find myself feeling more grounded, more present, more open as a result of the practice, but it dawned on me when Sean asked me that.  Wow, this is what it's been for, practice on the days when it's easy so that when you are presented with a new and challenging reality you can feel it all, the fear, the sadness, as well as the possibility, the opening up, the embrace of what is so that you don't miss the beauty built into everything out of our seemingly innate initial reaction to resist what is new (to us) and therefore scary.  
Practice when it's easy and that resistance is just a little bit easier to work with and surrender. 

Comments

Popular Posts