Anxiety: The dog's or the owner's, which came first?
While out walking Tux, Linda, and I have come across a number of dog owners who are curious to try and socialize their dog with Tux but also visibly nervous about how their dog will interact. Like a self-fulfilling prophecy, without fail that I can remember, these dogs always respond aggressively after first tentatively saying "Hi" to Tux and giving the customary end-to-end smell. It raises the question, which comes first? The dog's aggression? Or the owner's nervousness? And maybe it's not as cut and dry as that, but I'm willing to bet a doggy treat that they feed each other. And I would bet two doggy treats that if an owner were to relax into the experience and let their dog do what dogs do the interaction would go much smoother. Dogs, kids, people, we feed off of each other's energy, we know this because can walk into a room and feel suddenly tense based on the energy that those in the room are projecting. We can sit in an audience and squirm in our seats if a presenter is noticably uncomfortable. We can meet a friend who is feeling grounded and calm and it has a way of soothing the nerves.
Be careful what you put out there, energy is contagious!
Comments
Post a Comment