What if you're not broken?
"I think that in the western psychotherapy view, the developmental view, because there is so much interest in historic origins of current ways we organize our experience, it's very easy to somewhat unconsciously take the attitude that there is a problem in the past that needs to be healed, that there are wounds that need to be healed, before somebody can be fully present. I think, again unconsciously, it's very easy then, to take on a project of self-improvement where we don't realize that we are postponing recognizing that we are always fully present, we are always fully intimate with life and with each other, we are always fully engaged, there is no other possibility. A lot of us have this unexamined idea that when I clear these things up in the future, then I’ll show up. Then I’ll accept myself. Then I’ll bring my vulnerability to my partner. One of the problems with the ‘over-time’ approach is that we postpone acceptance until there’s a certain type of improvement.”
—Bruce Tift
—Bruce Tift
I've been feeling need for mentors in my life and have started to claim the thinkers, creators, authors that I spend alot of time with as mentors even though they may never know I exist. This quote was shared to me by a mentor of mine, Jocelyn K. Glei, via her podcast, Hurry Slowly.
This quote is still doing work on me and so I will stop here.
What does it stir up in you?
Comments
Post a Comment